Thursday, May 19, 2005

I still want to know more about her European travels though

You all should go and read this article over at the NYT. Two excerpts that really resonated for me:

"I think class is everything, I really do," she said recently. "When you're poor and from a low socioeconomic group, you don't have a lot of choices in life. To me, being from an upper class is all about confidence. It's knowing you have choices, knowing you set the standards, knowing you have connections."

And though in terms of her work Ms. Justice is now one of Pikeville's leading citizens, she is still troubled by the old doubts and insecurities. "My stomach's always in knots getting ready to go to a party, wondering if I'm wearing the right thing, if I'll know what to do," she said. "I'm always thinking: How does everybody else know that? How do they know how to act? Why do they all seem so at ease?"

2 Comments:

Blogger David Moles said...

Heh. I feel that way in all kinds of social milieux. I guess that's the curse of being bourgeois.

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This article is the third in a series dealing with THE most unspoken aspects of American society: social and economic class. Part two dealt with rich person versus poor person medicine. And part one was interactive graphs that showed you where you placed on the social pyramid.

rick

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home