Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Twenty Epics




Twenty Epics, an anthology of short stories attempting to capture the essence of epic narrative in as few words as possible, has finally been released! I've been waiting for this anthology to be available for a long time. My story, "The Creation of Birds" appears in its pages, which are really beautifully edited by David Moles and Susan Groppi, and graced with the wonderful cover art of Lara Wells.

To celebrate the release of the anthology, many of the writers who have stories in it are blogging and journaling about the book, as well as the stories we wrote for it. As for my story, I wrote "The Creation of Birds" around the time I was twenty-five years old. It's part of a triptych of stories inspired by women painters who had been part of the surrealist movement in the early half of the twentieth century. (The second story in the tiptrych will be published in the anthology Salon Fantastique this September). This particular story is inspired by the art of Remedios Varo.

Twenty Epics is full of so many different kinds of takes on the epic story that, if you purchase it, it's nearly impossible to be disappointed by the book because of its varied themes and settings and styles. Well worth your while. So by all means, get yourself a copy and enjoy twenty epics told in under ten thousand words each. If you do happen to read it, please leave a review of the book at Amazon and/or David Moles' journal and tell us what you think!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chris:

It was great meeting you at ReaderCon--Lauren knows the coolest people--and hearing you read at the Twenty Epics panel. Congrats on the book!

Oh, and apologies for offing you in Mafia.

--Mercurio D. Rivera

10:32 AM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Beth, I have that same book, I think! Loved it.

Mercurio, it was great to meet you too, and no apologies for offing me in mafia necessary! Hate the game, not the playa, is what I always say when it comes to that particular game.

Ethereal Lad, I wish I could have caught that show. Hopefully someday I'll get to stand in front of one of the real deals.

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mercurio D. Rivera is beyond doubt the best name of anybody at Readercon - better even than China Mieville.

Rick Bowes

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home