Thursday, October 17, 2002


An early post. I haven't been to sleep yet. Was up all night with my ex-girlfriend. She came over and we cooked lots of food and watched a documentary on William Gibson on the Independent Film Channel (yes, I have good television options again, but I'm not hooked like I had been in Michigan with Cable) and we sang Bessie Smith songs.

If you've never listened to Bessie Smith, you absolutely must do so. She's the empress of blues. Absolutely sad and funny and rowdy all at once. I suggest these songs, if you are of a mind to download: "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out", "A Good Man is Hard to Find", "Me and My Gin", "Need a Little Sugar in My Bowl", and "Mean Old Bedbug Blues".

Not Bessie--try to find the Bob Marley/Fugees remake of "No Woman, No Cry". It's wonderful.

Hmm, Tori Amos has a great cover of Stevie Nicks's "Landslide" you should find also. I played this song day and night for about five days straight several weeks ago. I would leave the apartment in the morning for school, and come home to it still playing. I clench up to the lines in that song.

Well, it's time for me to find a pillow.

Morning all. Goodnight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home