Tuesday, June 08, 2004

I forgot to mention this in my list of things to pick up. Victoria Elizabeth Garcia's chapbook of short stories, Unspeakable Vitrine. It's beautiful, sad, weird as all get out, surreal, and ultimately the best kind of satisfying. Her characters are horribly real, and I mean that in the way that we are all real and horrible in a way, and it takes a certain kind of author to depict our undersides. Not the undersides that are expected--like crime and drugs, etc--but the truly unspeakable strangeness we all have that is scary as hell. Buy this chapbook.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

It's good! I'm so glad you drew my attention to it at WisCon, because I had loved her stories in Polyphony and Rabid Transit but failed to connect them.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Jason Erik Lundberg said...

I saw this at WisCon, but had just bought an armload of chapbooks and was hesitant to get one more. But thanks to your rec, I just ordered one directly. I've enjoyed the stories I've already read from Garcia, so the chapbook should be no disappointment.

11:35 PM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

yay! another reader for Victoria's chapbook. it's really the best one i've come across in a long long time. but i'm so partial to this woman's writing that i'm no longer a fair judge probably. she just hits so many spots that no one else does.

2:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home