Monday, February 07, 2005

Janken Pon

We are having the first earthquake of the new year at this very moment. Yes, my dear readers, I am typing while something just fell on the floor in my kitchen. Will check on that later. I have become so numb to earthquakes now. I feel Californian, or well in this case, Japanesey (terrible Utada Hikaru song reference). Oh there now, everything is fine again. Just type through the shaking and it will go away.

I have a day off today. I slept in until 10 a.m. I am not sure what I'm going to do with myself all day, but I will figure something out.

This weekend I am going to try to convince Tadashi to see Daremo Shiranai with me (Nobody Knows). It's still playing at a theater in Shibuya. It just opened in NYC too, I hear. The little boy in the movie won best actor at Cannes this year. The story sounds incredible. I watched two different previews online and got all teary both times. It's based on a true story of a woman who abandoned her four children in an apartment in Tokyo. They continued to take care of themselves on their own for six months before anyone realized they were without parents.

I watch these trailers and tear up, because I just see my kids at the junior high and elementary schools when I watch it. I have become a Japanese sort of teacher after all, and feel responsible for the kids now, as if they were my own. This is my Japan depicted very naturalistically. There is even a wonderful scene with the kids playing Janken (Paper, scissors, rock) on a stairwell. In Japan, Janken happens all day, everywhere. I see it at least twenty times a day. The kids use it to settle disputes, settle who gets the extra milk cartons at lunch, who takes the lunch trays up to the cart, who raised their hand first to answer a question during a game. I've seen adults use it too. It's cute and sweet and so much better than seeing kids (not to mention adults) whining and crying over who gets what or who goes first, etc. The losers never get upset after they janken. They stick to the honor of having done the deciding game and lost fair and squarely.

There is a chant they say as they Janken. Saisho guu, Janken pon! (First is stone, now Janken!) If you have the same symbol (paper, scissors or stone) then you keep going, and the chant changes to "Aiko deshou! Aiko deshou!" (one more time! one more time!) until there is a winner.

Anyway, when I saw the abandoned children in the movie trailer janken-ing, I almost began to weep my little heart out. Why would I go see a movie that is so obviously sad, some may ask? Because I think we avoid certain emotions in our lives too much. I think healthy doses of sadness are good for us. I think it's good to stay connected to the world, which is not always happy, and to try to pretend it is nothing but happy would be to live in denial of what is real.

So go forth and watch something sad!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, sad movies are cathartic. But your final points remind me of this:
"I would not want to make you unhappy by detailing pain, but there is a crucial sort of difference between pain and the narration of pain. I am telling you what happened. If there is vicarious pain in knowing, there is actual peril in not knowing. In aversion lies a colossal risk.”
--Philip K. Dick, The Transmigration of Timothy Archer(Josh)

4:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's like what that nice boyfriend of mine says on Beyond Baroque, when he relates how is friends/family ask him if he ever writes 'happy' poetry, and he says it's more important "to have been there then, to be here now" (paraphrased, but that's close?)...anyway, that's how I feel about 'sad' movies etc., too. I think they're really important to experience and are highly cathartic. In fact I watched A Home... again yesterday and then was on amazon and was like "oooh it's cheap" not because it's the Best Movie Ever, but because I like how I feel while I'm experiencing it (and you know me, I love makeshift families)

xoxox

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's like what that nice boyfriend of mine says on Beyond Baroque, when he relates how is friends/family ask him if he ever writes 'happy' poetry, and he says it's more important "to have been there then, to be here now" (paraphrased, but that's close?)...anyway, that's how I feel about 'sad' movies etc., too. I think they're really important to experience and are highly cathartic. In fact I watched A Home... again yesterday and then was on amazon and was like "oooh it's cheap" not because it's the Best Movie Ever, but because I like how I feel while I'm experiencing it (and you know me, I love makeshift families)

xoxox

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris

NOBODY KNOWS sure is sad in parts. It's also quite wonderful. As understanding and nuanced a depiction of kids as I've ever seen. The actors are all terrific. Performances by children are usually a case of a director being clever enough to allow a kid to be a kid on screen and I think in this case that's what it is with the younger children. But the boy who plays the 12/13 year old who becomes head of the family of three other children has an amazing ability to show what's going on inside him and really does undergo basic and believable change.

In it's depiction of a secret family it reminded me of the best moments in Lumet's RUNNING ON EMPTY, the story of the '60's radical couple and their two children all on the run from the law and compelled to live without leaving footprints or a trail of any kind. In that film, though a family birthday - a scene of incredible strength and warmth or the heartbreak and tension of the mother (Christine Lahti) in a secret meeting with her estranged father, were juxtaposed with the most unlikely contrivences.

None of that here. One important incident toward the end of the film is not justified by anything we've seen before. Other than that it is utterly seamless and human. It's not even possible to hate the mother who abandons her children.

Do bring kleenex, though

Rick

11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home