Sunday, May 29, 2005

My weekend...

...was spent getting to know a co-worker better, translating for my friend Mona and some Japanese guy who thought she was cute (neither of them spoke the other's language) and drinking wine and watching movies earlier tonight with Katie and Mona, as we tried to pretend like Monday wasn't going to arrive and we would have to go back to work. We took a trip through the cemetary behind my house, though, and I finally found where the gong is that I hear ringing every morning at six a.m. sharp. Behind the cemetary, a little further along into the woods, we found this amazing huge temple. This is the thing I love about Japan. You think you know your surroundings, and then all of a sudden, it shows you something new. The temple was closed, so I want to go back on another day and see if it's actually visitable, but we got some decent snapshots from the outside of it, and also of the cemetery surrounding it.

And just for the record, it is so damned cool when you start to understand a language to the point where you can hold a semi-decent conversation and stop people in stores and ask them questions about stuff you can't necessarily read (because of the high irritation of a spelling system that has way too many characters, and that's one thing I won't back down on, someone needs to redo the writing system here, even the kids at school complain how many damned kanji they have to learn just to be literate) and in any case, if I can't read something, I can at least stop someone and ask about it, which is just as useful and I get speaking practice as well.

Along with all this, I got the most lovely phone call from Karen Meisner during the Ratbastards party at Wiscon, where everyone sang "Love Shack" to me over the phone. Tears, tears, tears. The phone was passed around to whoever was on hand at the party, so I got to speak to most of my peeps. I must admit, though, I *am* a bit worried about this apparently cute "Beck-like" boy who was going to be given the "Zakbar Award" later that evening because he was the closest thing to a diva this year. No worries. I am in the land of karaoke training and also as of now have lost twenty pounds in 9 months and so all I've got to say is not only will I be in prime form for singing karaoke when I get back, I'll be hot and whoever Mr. Cutie is better watch out.

And I hope David Moles did turn over the dessert dish for me.

Oh, and a cute little pic of me, Katie and Jody before last weekend night out in Tsuchiuara's hip little club, Orbit.

Oyasumi nasai!
(good night!)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do not worry, sweetheart. We've identified the boy in question (he appears to be dating Jim Frenkel's daughter) and I think he's not really any threat to you. He was a temporary substitute, that's all.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Whew, that's a relief. Though I am, by all means, up for competition.

10:42 AM  
Blogger David Moles said...

Anonymous is right -- more of a sparring partner than actual competition, I think.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

That kid? He's no threat to you. He had the moxie but not the moves to back it up. The threat comes in the form of Susan Marie Groppi, although the two of you work in different musical genres. Perhaps the two of you should collaborate in the future!

I was sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to you. You were missed!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

I can do a decent version of "Downtown" and I've lately been thinking of trying out Joni Mitchel. Perhaps Susan Marie and I can find some common ground. I was deeply impressed with her rendition of "I've Been to Paradise but I've Never Been to Me". Or whatever the title is. I heard real karaoke even thousands of miles of way, even though it was on a cell phone and a party was going on in the background. Real karaoke is unmistakable when one hears it, don't you think?

hehe

11:24 AM  
Blogger chance said...

Bah, you guys are doing it all wrong - the way to guarantee a return of Team USA from Japanland is to make him believe his home base is threatened.

Get your ass back here or we are revoking your rap name and your drag queen name.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

I actually do an Eminem song now, so the rap name must remain!

6:48 PM  
Blogger chance said...

sure thing 80/20 or whatever your name was.

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home