Friday, October 21, 2005

Sufjan Stevens

I'm crushing hard on Sufjan Stevens' music right now. He's got three or four albums out already, but I just came across him. I've been listening to Michigan and Illinois, the first two albums out of a project where he plans to make an album for each state in the union. Also listening to a cd of philosophical/religious hymns he wrote called Seven Swans. His music is the sort that goes directly to my center without any process or transmission. He grew up in Michigan, and his songs from the Michigan album describe the Midwestern steel factory small town Christian trailer park and industrial park land I come from. Here's a video from the Michigan album called "Romulus". His music isn't probably up everyone's alley, but I think it's the most beautiful music I've heard in ages. It's really inside me right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home