Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Jishin

Earthquake, 7.0 on the scale, was eating brunch with a friend while it happened. I stood up and said, stand up, this is weird, even for an earthquake in Japan. So my friend Jody stood up and looked at me like I would then reveal the next step in our plan. Then everyone in the place sort of looked at each other. I said, Whoa, and two Japanese girls giggled. Then they said Sugoi! and we giggled. And the a while later the earthquake subsided and we walked out and everything went back to normal...but it was really really weird. I've been here a year, and I've experienced a lot of earthquakes (three or four while my mom was here actually) but this was the longest and strongest one yet, I think. But I'm okay. Some of you have emailed to ask if I'm alive/okay/cool/etc. I am. And thanks for asking. It was a bit weird, enough to make me stand up and care about the earthquake, which I'd become accustomed to and had stopped thinking much of, sort of like a California native. But all is well. And I'll catch up with email soon. Thanks for caring about me.

XO,
Chris

8 Comments:

Blogger chance said...

aw you do deserve prezzies. well you should know to email me right away to know that you are fine.

mr barzak

8:28 PM  
Blogger chance said...

the mr barzak at the end was me giving you a look.

in case you did not know.

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are ok, I guess they saved the big one until after I left the country. The smaller quakes were enough to scare me. Take care and be safe. Love you, Mom

9:30 PM  
Blogger David Moles said...

Shows what a sick puppy I am that my reaction was: "7.0! Wicked!"

But glad to hear you're okay. Just, next time, remember the safety drills, okay?

4:48 PM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Safety drills? Safety drills? What safety drills? I'm a Midwesterner. We don't have safety drills for earthquakes. Just tornadoes.

1:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look, just stop doing that thing that you do that causes the earthquakes, OK?

Rick

11:14 AM  
Blogger David Moles said...

They don't have earthquake drills at your school?

12:16 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

First reaction: Dude! You're supposed to run for a door frame when an earthquake hits. Then you run and check the baby (if you are living with one) and the gas connections.

Second reaction: Cool! Did it go up and down first and then side to side? I only felt that once but it was a big one and even freaked out my native co-workers.

1:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home