Friday, August 12, 2005

Shimotsuma Monogatari

By the way, David, you have got to see this movie. (And all the rest of you, too, who understand Japanese or can somehow find a translation of this movie.) In Japanese it's called "Shimotsuma Monogatari". Shimotsuma is a town near where I live. Just around the block really. My friend Jody lives the next town over from it. And weirdly, there are scenes from this film filmed like five minutes from my apartment here, at the Ushiku no Daibutsu (Great Buddha of Ushiku). Which is the tallest Buddha in the world. Yep, in my back yard. And it's amazing. Here's a look or two at it from my mom's visit.

















It's just lovely as a scene backdrop for a movie. I really do hope someone in America translates this movie. It's wonderful and in the same vein as much of the young, contemporary fiction/film that America is producing as well.

By the way, this site translates it as "Kamikaze Girls" but that is not what the original title means.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it about two teenage girls? One goth-ish, the other (I forget the correct name for it) one of those kids who dress very frilly? Because there was a film called kamikaze girls in the LA film festival that I almost went to see and then didn't. So it may be doing the festival circuit in the US, if nothing else.

--Meghan, who likes to comment on friends of friends blogs about weird movies she's seen at festivals. yes, it's true.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Yes, Meghan, that's the movie! You should go see it!! (Sorry this reply is so late. Hope you see it.

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Shimotsuma Monogatari!! I just watched it yesterday. It's such an amazing movie. Really strange and funny..but it has a really cool deep meaning. The characters are so well developed!

I heard that there was a premire of the movie in L.A and then New York. I wanted to see it in New York but saddly, i just can't afford it. So i bought the hong kong (crappy subs) version of it on Yesasia.com

Even though it wasn't translated very well, it got the point across. I still love this movie and even plan on buying the book when it comes out February 6, 2006.
(spoiler~ >.<)
My favorite scene is where Momoko gets all pissed off at the Yanki's and goes off on how she's Himiko's daughter. Haha that was soo great!

I came acrossed Kamikaze Girls in an Anime Shojo Magazine (shojobeat). They were advertising it because of one of the best Manga cuts in the magazine. "Nana" About two girls with totally different additudes, clothing styles, and personalities. But they're bothing moving to tokyo, share the same age as well as name. It may sound kind of dull with how i describe it, but trust me..it's just as good as Shimotsuma Monogatari. ^-^

-Natalie

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home