Friday, June 18, 2004

I am up later, unable to sleep, sick sick sick. I've been sick for the past week nearly. I now have medication, but whatever this is won't give up its last couple of fingerholds on me. I tend to wake up and feel fine and be exhausted within an hour and have to lay back down again. I don't think I've ever felt so fatigued in my life.

So instead of lingering in bed, tossing and turning, I decided to log some news instead. I made a list of goals at the beginning of the new year, and several of them have already come to be met. One was finish the novel, which I actually finished on the second day of the new year, two was to revise it to my best ability and workshop it with others until I could get it in the best shape possible. I finished that process in April. One of the other things on my list of things to do was to acquire an agent to represent me, now that I have book length material to market. So I sent the novel off to an agent mid-May, on the recommendation of a couple friends, and nearly a month to the day, I heard back from the agent saying he loved the book and wanted to represent me. I'll be represented by Christopher Schelling of the Ralph Vicinanza Agency.

I'm very excited, but also intimidated just a little. The list of Christopher's other clients is, well, stunning. He represents people like Terri Windling, Kate Bernheimer, Ellen Kushner and Delia Sherman, Augusten Burroughs, Stephen King, Margaret Cho, and none other than His Holiness the Dalai Lama. I'm thrilled that he's going to represent my work, and like him already from the exchanges we've had. So it looks like this is it. I have to give up the book and trust someone else to take care of it from here on out. Very scary, but I'm happy it's Christopher. I had a gut feeling as soon as a friend he represents began to talk about him. I hadn't had him on my list of possible agents to send to before that, and suddenly I was caught up in getting my book to him before I sent it to the others. And that gut reaction seems like it turned out for the best. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Now back to the work of mending...

19 Comments:

Blogger chance said...

whee!

5:53 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

yay!!

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

think of it....a lama/barzak/cho reading tour...

congratulations, chris! i'm not a bit surprised.

-barth

9:11 AM  
Blogger Jason Erik Lundberg said...

Congrats on the super-agent, Christopher! Wow!

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo!

(so sayeth Hannah)

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's my understanding that Mr. Schelling has sought a somewhat more rural tone for his client list.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Hey thanks everyone. And you are completely mad, Mr. Bowes. heheh

3:08 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Awesome! Not about the being sick, of course. But great news, and well-deserved!

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing news, and very well deserved. Yay!

Jenn Reese

10:32 AM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Hey, thanks Dave and Jenn!

3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Moley, Barzak! That's AWESOME news! I'm so incredibly happy for you! YAY!

-- Heather Shaw

11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats, bro! best of luck n' shit!

-Elad

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TRIN!

It is letting me post finally! (I think, we'll see when I press the button...)

I hope you feel better sooooon. Twin is here beside me reading my novel outline (that one of my editors did... unbelievable and socool that she did that) and she is leaving today. SAD! Wish you could've come up, hope you can maybe make it up here before you head off to Nippon Fantastica.

HUGS!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Hey guys, thanks for the well wishes and congrats! I'm feeling a lot better today for the first time since last Saturday. I've never had anything that's wiped me clear off my feet like this thing did. Glad it's pretty much over.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Nalo said...

Barth said: "think of it....a lama/barzak/cho reading tour..."

NH: Oh, pleasepleaseplease yes! Puhleeeze! Congratulations, Chris! And I hope you feel better soon. If it's in any way related to the flu, you might try mainlining elderberry capsules. Maybe not the tincture; it tastes like ass.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Hey Nalo! Thanks for th medicinal tips, although I took the coward's way out eventually and got antibiotics. And I, too, think a reading tour with the Dalai Lama and Margaret Cho is in order. I've always thought I try to balance my life somewhere between enlightenment and totally making fun of my family. ;)

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What Great News! That the antibiotics worked! Oh! And Congratulations! upon the Upper Echelon Agent Type Dude.

PamM

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!!!

Jeff VanderMeer

4:16 PM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Hey Pam, Hey Jeff, thanks!

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home