Wednesday, February 16, 2005

After the Quake

Yes, another earthquake, this one in the middle of the night. I think I've gained super powers somehow. The sort that cats are reported to have, how they sense earthquakes before they reach human sense organs. Almost a minute before the earthquake hit, I sat up straight in my futon out of a deep sleep and mumbled, "What's wrong?" I looked around and thought I'd just had a nightmare. Then, as I lay down again, I felt it move through my apartment like a wave and the building moved side to side as it usually does during these, only for a really really long time. It felt more powerful than any of the other ones I've experienced since moving here. In the morning, when I woke up to get ready for work, I found pictures toppled over in their frames, a cereal bowl on the kitchen floor, and some yen scattered beside the bookshelf. None of the other earthquakes threw stuff around so blithely. I also just finished Murakami's "After the Quake" tonight. Eerie, eerie. A good collection, by the way.

1 Comments:

Blogger Celia said...

I was in Italy during the quakes in Assisi, and we were far enough away that they didn't really do anything, but I'd wake up at night for no reason, and only remember in the morning when my little travel alarm clock was tipped over and the radio was talking about a 'terramoto' in the night. :) It was the first italian news clip I understood on the radio--I was so excited.

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home