Monday, February 28, 2005

Million Dollar Baby

Wow, Million Dollar Baby was great. I wasn't sure if I'd like it because I had some problems with Mystic River and some of Eastwood's choices in that film, but I was pretty much rapt during Million Dollar Baby. And Hilary Swank, woof, great performance. Sometimes I don't like to look at her for some reason, but I really wanted to just watch her act during this one. I couldn't take my eyes off her. When I finished watching, I checked online to see what was up with the Oscars and was actually really happy to see this movie got Best Movie and Swank Best Actress. Actually, after watching Million Dollar Baby, I even like Mystic River more. Eastwood's developing something, it looks like. I'll be interested to see where he goes with his next film. Hopefully he'll keep mining this bittersweet territory, examining what true loyalty and family really is.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw all the Oscar contenders and and this was the film that absolutely riveted me. The adaptation of the Toomey story from his collection ROPE BURNS brings out everything and more that is implied in the story and collection. Yes, on the theme of true family. Two other things that caught me were the evocation of boxing, reminding me of how central and important it was in an urban ethnic neighborhood 50 years ago and the way questions of life and death get presented to you in sterile hospital corridors.

Rick

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i haven't seen MDB yet, but Mystic River was a prime example of a narrative in which the viewer knows exactly how the story is going to go, and doesn't care specifically because the journey (writing/acting) is just so darn good.

i might have been more impressed if it hadn't been so obvious, but the acting was so marvelous.

i will see million dollar soon, I hope.

-omniP

12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home