Thursday, March 24, 2005

Chotto Yopparatta



Chotto yopparatta. I got a little drunk tonight at the teacher's enkai (end of the year party). I also apparently impressed some co-workers with Japanese they didn't know I knew. When one teacher was late I said, "Kuru deshoo?" he's probably coming, right? And the older sensei's said, "Nice accento!" They then made me drink sake with salt on the rim, like a margarita, and asked me if it was oishii? Delicious? I said it was cho oishii, and they laughed and had a good time with that, because "cho" is really not proper Japanese, but little kid's Japanese, which is sort of equivalent to "super!" Super delicious! Later I brought out the Mecha Tanoshikatta, It was loads of fun, and they had a field day with that as well. Japanese is much more structured than English, as to who should say what and when, and what adult language is and what children's language is. But being the foreign teacher, I get to say whatever I know and they all think it's cute no matter what, except the sensei's who know I know better. They will scowl but grin after they scowl, because, yes, I'm just too cute to berate for using Japanese slang and children's language. It's the price you pay for being the foreign teacher, I've decided. You put up with all sorts of alienation and then speak improper Japanese and know it, yet get complimented even so.

Nothing special to report other than this. I am still a bit out of sorts lately and adrift. The next two weeks are almost free for me, only a few things on the schedule until the new school year starts, so I'll try to write a lot and reconnect with those of you back home who I haven't kept in good contact with. No matter what, things here are good, and I am having a good time and am still way happy that I came here. You should all do the same!

Love,
Me

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kid, you're not ready for the cuteness major leagues.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Omae wa urayamashii da to omou. Chris kawaii da to iu hito wa ichiban ii hito da yo.

So there.

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not saying you don't have cuteness potential.

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home