Thursday, June 02, 2005

Long ago and far away

I'm sitting in my living room and watching a channel that I stumbled upon an hour ago that is showing American and British music videos. Right now UB40's "I Can't Help Falling in Love With You" is on. The video with the clips from that movie "Sliver" included in it. Now Elvis Costello's "She" is on. It's rather odd because it all seems so familiar and makes some part of me long for something vague (obviously vague, as I keep using "something" a lot). It's like looking back on a picture of yourself when you were a kid. You know it's you, but at the same time that person in the picture is someone you knew long long ago, and you're strangers now in many ways. That sort of feeling. (Sonna kanji). Something that's inside of me but far away is being plucked by the familiar words, music, images. But it all is rather strange at the same time. It makes me think about Isak Dinesen's "Out of Africa" where the book starts with the simple sentence, "I had a farm in Africa," which completely captures an understated emotion of something really grand actually, and also in the past, so also a bit of a lamentation.

Oh but Gwen Stefani is on now, so the mood is ruined.

Well not completely.

Anyway...the brownies along with the music are spinning my wheels tonight. Excuse the choppiness of these ramblings.

1 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

I *wish* they were special brownies. Alas, all I had to do was switch channels to the Japanese video of the dogs with rainbows pouring out of their mouths and things seemed normal again.

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home