Wednesday, July 20, 2005

The Platform and other pics

Do you remember when I first got here, and when I wrote about going to my first elementary school, and how I was trotted out to a dusty field behind the school where row upon row of small children in little outdoor uniforms were waiting for me to climb up on a platform and introduce myself to them *in Japanese* even though I'd only been here a couple of weeks, how I managed to do it somehow (thank god for that year of Japanese my senior year of high school!) and how when I told them "Ganbare!" they all shouted "Ganbarimasu!" which made me suddenly feel like I was a communist? Well, this is the platform.

Oh jeez, I can't remember if I even put this photo on here before, but these kids are so f***ing adorable I have to put it up again, even if I already did. They're at one of my elementary schools.

Me and Katie and Beth and Mona in Asakusa.

Three wonderful Japanese ladies who had us over to make "shabu shabu" in the winter. Mmm, I loves me some shabu shabu.

The flower the festival in Asakusa was centered around, I believe, though of course I've forgotten the name of it now. Katie, or wonderful and nice Japanese readers who are reading this, can you tell me?

Let's play a game of "Where's Waldo?" only find me instead. This is heading towards the entrances to Asakusa's major temple at the end of the famous rows and rows of street vendors.

A float at a recent festival in Arakawaoki. Closeups of the people inside the float to come.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, the flowers are Japanese lanterns, perhaps there is another name in Japan for them. You are in the far left hand corner of that picture. No problem spotting you, but then again mom's can recognize their kids coming and going. Great pictures, Happy Birthday, I'll call later tonight to wish you a happy #30,Love you, Mom

6:11 PM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Mona knew those were what we call Japanese Lanterns when she saw them, but that's not what they're called here of course. Because the words "Japanese" and "lantern" are English words, so you know, that's not what they would call these. Roses have a different name here too, of course. "Bara". The name here starts with an "H" sound, but I can't remember any longer what it is. That's why I asked for any nice Japanese readers to answer me. I didn't know you were Japanese, Mom! Boy you hid that really well all these years! ;-)

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOZUKI !!! I have that word totally etched into my mind now. We forgot it so many times I thought maybe they didn't exist or something. Chris-san, I liked the other picture better...

6:25 AM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

HOZUKI! That's right! And you're right, the other picture IS better. I just forgot I had it. Thanks for reminding me of that too. hehe

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home