Thursday, September 29, 2005

Sou ka na!? Sou ka naa!?

I think I post less and less about my experiences here on a regular basis because of a couple of reasons. One reason is I'm keeping many of them for a future writing project. But also after living here for over a year now, I'm used to things and don't come home and rush to the computer to write down something that, six months to a year ago I found completely new and full of wonder and excitement. But then I sometimes make myself take a step back and think about my day and it's true that something really cool and magical in its own way happens here for me almost everyday. I think I've just gotten so used to it that I forget it sometimes.

Today I had a conversation in Japanese with two boys about Howl's Moving Castle. On my ketai (cell phone) I have a Caluficer charm, the little fire dude, and one of them noticed it and started talking about the movie. Before I knew it, we were throwing out lines from the movie in Japanese. It was so strange because I didn't think about it until just now, before I'm going to sleep and now it seems funny to me because you know you've had that moment with friends in your own language quoting lines from movies in your own language, and everyone has a lot of fun doing so. So new experience in another language # I lost count: Favorite lines from movies rap session.

Superstar!

3 Comments:

Blogger David Moles said...

Man. I don’t remember a single line from that movie; just visuals.

(Of course, I only saw it once, and I can quote chunks of Laputa and Nausicá and Porco Rosso, so I don’t know what I’m complaining about. Tobanai buta wa tada no buta da.)

5:46 PM  
Blogger David Moles said...

(And I just realized that my Blogger mug shot there is none too far from the US Porco Rosso cover. Heh. Guess if I ever get dragged to an anime convention I’ve got my costume.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Ha! That is too funny!

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home