Monday, February 06, 2006

Kids Say The Darnedest Things (Japan Version)

The seventh graders are learning how to handle a telephone call in which they have to make a plan to do something with someone else in English. Today they begin creating their own skits based on the one in their textbook. Most of the kids make boring skits because they don't want to put the effort into being creative in another language. It's hard, but if they did put the effort into it, I think they'd find how much easier and more fun it is to learn another language when you do it in funny and creative ways. Of course most of their teachers don't encourage this but I tend to do so whenever I see a kid who's leaning towards having fun with an English project rather than just doing the minimum and getting it out of the way. Today's most interesting skit from a seventh grade boy and girl went like this:

(Phone ringing noise)

Hello?

Hello Mr. Koizumi? This is Mr. Bush.

Oh hi, Mr. Bush. How are you?

I'm fine thank you. And you?

I'm fine too, thank you.

Mr. Koizumi, are you free this Saturday? We're planning a war.

I'm sorry, Mr. Bush, but I'm busy this Saturday.

Oh that's too bad. Well then, see you later.

Ok, see you later. Goodbye!

Goodbye!

1 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

It was even sadder that this is what they came up with when all the examples were like, "We're planning a party!" or "Let's play tennis in Asahi park together!" sort of cheery stuff. But I praised them for their originality because I thought it had to be just a little bit snarky on their part. They're not so naive, these kids.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home