Wednesday, April 05, 2006

In Which I Have an Accident

This is short, and just to let people know since I've been out of contact with most of you for the past couple weeks, last week I had an accident on the day I moved out of my apartment and moved up to my friend Jody's house an hour and a half away from where I was living. I pretty much totaled my car, my head went into the windshield, but luckily there was no concussion, and the man I rear-ended was fine too though his car needs replaced apparently. I have insurance. That should cover it, though my company seems to not know if it will cover everything to replace his car, although they said it would if I ever hit someone. Hopefully they knew what they were talking about then and the new guy who works there who told me it might not cover everything doesn't know what he's talking about. I had to go to the man's house and do a formal apology, which basically meant I bought him a thirty dollar gift box of cakes and treats and put and envelope on top with a hundred dollars in it and had to slide it across the tatami mat floor to him saying, I'm terribly sorry, by my own carelessness I've caused and accident, and this gift is to show you my feelings about the situation. Then he made us tea and we chatted. He's a farmer out here in Yachiyo, which is extremely country. But he's nice. The evening of the accident, he got in my car to wait for his tow truck and we chatted then too, so I wasn't too freaked out about having to go and do this totally humbling formal apology thing that's done here. In any case, the accident was because I came around a blind curve and he was waiting there right on the curve to turn onto a tiny dirt road and I tried to stop but even so slid partially into his back passenger side of the car. My head had a huge bump on it from going into the windshield for days but it's back to normal now. I was worried because my company kept saying if he sues I wouldn't be able to leave Japan as planned, but I'm not sure why they kept scaring me with that because I had insurance and all of my Japanese friends were telling me if you have insurance there's no reason the man would have to sue you. Maybe my company was just angry they had to deal with this and were trying to make me feel worse. Who knows? But like my friends said, the man's not suing, so now I have to hope my insurance covers everything for his car like it's supposed to do. I guess I can't come home saying I didn't do just about everything I could have in Japan, because between this accident and the mumps and a gazillion other unforeseen things, both good and bad, I feel like I've lived here longer than the couple of years it's been.

Anyway, I don't have a regular internet connection at this point, so please be patient. Some of you might not hear from me until I'm back in the states. Sorry.

11 Comments:

Blogger elad said...

jeezzzuss!

cars are so freaking scary. i drive everyday now and it still freaks me out to no end. i'm so so glad you're okay, chris. and i hope the insurance bullshit that is to come is quick and painless.

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eeee! Take care of that head. We wants the stories that are in it, precioussss.

- Hannah

9:38 AM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

Oh Chris. I was in a car accident in China it is one of my most vivid and frightening memories. It was when I knew I needed to be home. Sometimes after that, nothing is the same.

I'm glad you have friends to be with.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Trent Walters said...

Take care of yourself.

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HUGS for you!

Pea

12:38 PM  
Blogger Jason Erik Lundberg said...

Shit, man! I'm glad to hear that you're okay and that it wasn't worse than it was. The first part of this entry scared the crap out of me.

Man. Feel better soon, Chris.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh chris! whenever you get this, i hope you know i was thinking good thoughts all along for you and your bumpy head.

wasn't there blood gushing everywhere too? or is your head just that hard? ;)

feel better so i can give you a headache from too many cheap ytown drinks! xoxoxoxoxoxox (a million)

-- brooke

10:04 PM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Thanks everyone. All warm thoughts and wishes are appreciated. My head is okay now, though I really did some damage to the windshield. After the accident, I saw the windshield first, I guess I either closed my eyes or blacked out for a moment, and saw the spiderweb of cracks in it and thought, how in the world did that happen? Because I didn't recall hitting the window. But then I saw the center of the web was directly in front of me and I put my hand to my head and it was already swelling and hurt. That was the oddest part, realizing I hit the window instead of remembering it.

I liked the formal apology ritual too, Karen, and I'm glad it was with that man, because he was so nice and somehow it felt easier because he was older and well, we had sat in my car after the accident and had a conversation and he was nice then too, so I didn't fear going to see him, even though nothing I did was obviously on purpose and it was a really dangerous curve having that road right there to turn onto.

Maureen, I'm glad I have friends right now too, and adopted family too. I don't know what I'd do without all of the people I love here. And yes, it does seem to make everything feel even more like it's time to go home. Though now that my head isn't swollen any longer, I've been able to start enjoying my last few weeks here again.

heheh, Can't wait, Brooke! xoxoxox

5:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you're both okay!

JV

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're super glad to hear you're okay.

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your head really isn't swollen it's not a recovery, it's a miracle.

rick

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home