Wednesday, June 22, 2005

My girls, Margaret and Kelly

Whatever good Margaret has said in the past to piss off sf readers and writers, she's not saying now. And I've always felt that even if she hedged her bets in the past, she was trying to find a position for herself that was comfortable. I myself think that many definitions of what sf is could be very narrow and overly-defining for my own comfort, so I've always been a bit understanding of Margaret. But for those who want hardcore fan-atacism, here it is. Why Margaret Atwood thinks sf is essential.

Also, I just finished reading Kelly Braffet's Josie and Jack. Now I want to be her boyfriend.

6 Comments:

Blogger Gwenda said...

I DEVOURED Josie and Jack. Really liked it. You know she's dating/engaged/married to Stephen King's son the literary writer with the new collection out? (they went to Columbia's MFA program together.)

1:05 PM  
Blogger David Moles said...

Ah, celebrity wedding, it'll never last. Keep your hopes up.

I don't think anyone other than Margaret Atwood uses "speculative fiction" the way she uses it, but what the hell, it's a nice piece. Probably over Dave Langford's head, but what can you do.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Oh that stings. Why do all the children of celebrities get the good ones!

And I hadn't heard Stephen King had a son with a short story collection out. What's his name?

6:28 PM  
Blogger Gwenda said...

It's Owen King. Here's a snarky Gawker bit about him with a photo; I found out this bit of literary gossip from Entertainment Weekly but that piece doesn't seem to be online.

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Young Owen is beyond scary.

Rick

1:25 AM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Okay maybe there's still hope!!

;-)

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home