Friday, June 17, 2005

For future endeavors

So the homesickness is a wavering entity. It comes, it goes. One day I am happy as ever to be here, the next wanting the Hotdog Shop in Niles, Ohio just for an hour of my life again. I sometimes fantasize about having my mother smuggle hot dogs from there onto the plane, but wonder if they'd even make it intact during the thirteen hour flight. Or even a roast beef sandwich from Arby's. That would be soooo good right now. Yet again, thirteen hours later, how good could it be? How sad to desire such monotonous fast food, and yet how keenly my stomach's and taste bud's memory urges. I think I may try to convince mom to bring something from one of these places no matter what, even if in the end it's no good. It's worth a try. Or Burger King's chicken sandwich with cheese. Oh god. Terrible food, yet after ten months of healthy-lose-twenty-pounds-by-just-moving-here-food, I am willing to try anything. The best I have here is a bad Mexican knock off of Chi-Chi's and a so so Mediterranean place that offers gyros that aren't exactly gyros, but suffice for the most part in these times of differential need.

After the first nine months, I didn't think I'd ever be the whiny bitchy I want some American food guy, but it seems that I have become exactly that. I've made my peace with that, though, because I figure for all I'm going through here (for example, I had to stop and think about that phrase, how does it go? I've made my...what? how does that saying go again?) I deserve some damned fast food of the quality I've become accustomed to, even if it does put ten pounds back on me just from looking at it. Hell, in a month, I'll lose it again anyway.

But, as I said, off and on, some days great, some days growling like a starved dog, depending on how much sleep I get and how my day goes in general. Would like to think this is preparation for some future endeavor. Who knows? Maybe it is.

6 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Well there is some American fast food here, Wendy's and Macdonald's and KFC, but it's all Japanized. Nothing is the same sort of fast food really. Which is fine. It makes due, but I really could go for the stuff I listed. ;-)

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In other countries I always develop huge cravings for American fast food too. And no, the burgers never taste right abroad, not even a little.

On the other hand, you are living in the land of fresh sushi, so I have limited sympathy.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Now if only I was a sushi lover. There will be an outcry of shock and surprise and anger when you learn that I have probably only eaten it three or four times in the ten months I've been here. Yep.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Which is weird, because I used to want it more often than that back home. But here I don't for some reason. Maybe because I am surrounded by pictures of it henever I drive somehere. Being saturated with advertising imagery has always worked in the opposite way it's supposed to work with me. I always get sick of whatever it is they're pushing at you.

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chris, so how did you read my mind? I already have a plan on putting the sauce in a small container, hot dog in foil,and the same for the sandwiches. They should be fine. I will put them in my carry on and as soon as we get to Japan you can eat them. Now I can't assure you of the same flavor since it will be about 13 hours after the fact, but it is worth a try. The sauce will be fine and that is what makes the hot dog so delicious. Mark, hot dog shop owner, will fix me up. I have been shopping for Christmas in July in Japan. Can't wait to see your eyes when you unwrap your gifts. Who needs snow to celebrate? Talk to you soon. Love ya, Mom

10:58 PM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Lol, you can't honestly bring those hotdogs on the plane 13 hours! But definitely bring the sauce. I can buy the hotdogs here. Umm, bring the buns too. :)

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home