Friday, June 03, 2005

So and So san goes down!

That's right. I now have my Japanese driver's license. Actually So and So san's colleague, So and So san II, gave me my test today. I actually for a moment wanted So and So san the first again, because the new So and So san was literally failing test takers halfway through the driving test and making them return to the car bay unfinished. The rest of those of us waiting to take our tests were freaking out. Everyone agreed he was the most strict examiner they'd ever seen. I thought for sure it was just going to be another wasted test day, but then when I got in the car I chatted the old boy up in Japanese and made him laugh, and afterwards he told me I passed with a big grin on his face and told me I spoke good Japanese.

And then I went inside the building and around a corner where I did a little two second dance before going to take my picture for the card.

Japan 5, Barzak 6 (This includes former karaoke battles, driving test failures, so-so medical treatment, and a car accident in the mountains).

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yaaaaay! Congratulations Chris!

love,
Mary

8:51 AM  
Blogger chance said...

hoooray!

9:32 AM  
Blogger Maureen McHugh said...

You go, Barzak san. An American boy has to have a driver's license and its a good thing the Japanese finally understood that.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Nice work, Chris!

10:40 AM  
Blogger David Moles said...

Considering you're playing a top-ranked team and it's all away games for you, 6-5 is a pretty good record.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Thank you! Thank you! I'm still very happy. I even went and bought myself a very expensive "man bag" from Takeo Kikuchi as a present afterwards. I've been drooling over it since I got here and realized men can carry really stylish bags like women in general here without any weirdness about it. So much better than lugging a huge backpack everywhere.

Tomorrow, second part of self-reward, clubbing in Tokyo with the peeps!

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it actually big enough to hold a man?

Rick

2:34 PM  
Blogger David Moles said...

Pictures!

3:35 PM  
Blogger Christopher Barzak said...

Nt big enough to hold a man, but big enough to smack a man over the head with. ahem.

And pictures of course!

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home