Friday, January 13, 2006

Overheard at a lunch table

I'd forgotten this, but as I like to keep hold of funny things I overhear in Japanese, I'll post it for memory's sake.

Just before winter break began, I was eating lunch with some ninth graders and they were talking about one of the teacher's recently getting married. Hey Chris, one of them said, did you go to so and so sensei's wedding? No, I said. Didn't he invite you? they asked. He invited me, I said, but I already had plans to visit a friend in another part of Ibaraki. Oh, they said. I see. Then one boy turns to the others and says, So who did so and so sensei marry? The smart-ass of the group tells the others, Apparently a boy!

Lots of laughter.

Apparently so and so sensei is often made fun of behind his back. But this seems to be the case with teenagers everywhere.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

So and So Sensei has a nice ring to it. It could be a superhero name.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home