Thursday, January 19, 2006

Good Morning Midnight

After posting my neuroses, I was informed that my story "The Language of Moths" will be reprinted in Sean Wallace's The Year's Best Fantasy: 2005 as well this year. Was very happy. And the table of contents was really interesting and fresh. You'll have to wait and see for yourself.

Then I was asked to speak to a new foreign student from China who can't speak Japanese. His homeroom teacher thought he might know English, and I helped her translate his class schedule into English, but when I spoke to him, he didn't understand. The poor thing looks so damned confused and scared. I hear he threw up during P.E. later. I would *never* want to go to a school that is taught in a language I can't speak. Unless maybe I was in first or second grade, third grade tops. It's easier to pick it up at those levels, when kids are learning how to read and write their own language and a foreign child could learn along with them. But eighth grade. That just seems like a lot to deal with at an already difficult age.

I'm reading Osamu Dazai's "No Longer Human". It's wonderful, though really disturbing.

I worked out with Beth and Kevin last night. Chest. Ouch. But I suppose if it hurts that means muscles are growing to heal all the ones I tore up. I have terrible triceps. But I can run!

Now it's time for bed. Tomorrow is Friday and I can't wait to have a weekend. This first week back after the mumps hasn't been too bad, but I've been getting tired more easily than usual.

G'night, or good morning if you're reading this from the other side of the world.

2 Comments:

Blogger elad said...

congrats, yo!!

6:52 PM  
Blogger Fish Monkey said...

Congrats on the sale! Well done.

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home